Staunton Country Park
Staunton Country Park – Monday to Friday
Our wonderful teams of Supported volunteers do essential work at Staunton, and are seen as an integral and important part of the overall staff team.
- Growing Vegetables to be sold in the Staunton Shop
- Lawn mowing and hedge trimming
- Growing plants
- Preparing bags of animal food to sell to the visitors
- Litter picking in and around the visitor areas and wider parklands
- Crafts connected with outdoor life, using materials sourced in the park
- General maintenance of the site, painting, cleaning as appropriate and/or necessary
- Harvesting and preparing produce for sale
- Keeping the sales area full and appealing
- Collecting and sawing wood for ‘firewood’ sold in the shop
Supported Volunteers have the opportunity to choose which work activities they would like to be involved in each morning and afternoon. Support from our experience Job Coaches is based on levels of independence, the more independent will often work with peer support provided by our team of Team Leaders, all who have a learning disability. Developing greater independence is key to the success of this provision, it’s a large, safe and fabulous working environment that allows are supported volunteers to increase their confidence and self-esteem – gradually allowing individuals to work with less support.
We don’t work directly with the animals at Staunton, but much of our work is in and around the farm, giving us ample opportunities to get to know the animal’s characters and be at hand during the ‘births’ of the many ‘babies’ born throughout the year.